Research involved a records review of all cases admitted to the EVRMC Dept. of Pediatrics from January 1995 to December 1998 with an admitting and/or discharge diagnosis of Dengue suspect, Dengue Fever, Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever or Dengue Shock Syndrome. An initial survey of the records of the department revealed that 1862 cases met the criteria for inclusion. However, only 1852 clinical records were actually recovered for review. Of these, 72 were admitted in 1995, 49 in 1996, 385 in 1997 and 1346 in 1998. Four cases were excluded from the study due to heart disease. Two of them were taking Prednisone for rheumatic heart disease in failure and the two others had Tetralogy of Fallot.
There were 539 out of 1852 cases (29.11%) who fully satisfied the WHO criteria for the clinical diagnosis of Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF). These cases were assigned to Group I. The rest, 1313 out of 1852 or 70.89% failed to fully satisfy the WHO criteria. These cases were then assigned to Group II. It appears that most cases did not satisfy the WHO criteria for the diagnosis of DHF. This is in contrast to the findings of Tupasi et al who claimed that thrombocytopenia and hemoconcentration are constant findings in DHF. On the other hand, these findings agree with a 1992 study by Reyes who found that among 70 serologically confirmed DHF cases only one (1) fully met the WHO criteria.
This study endeavored to describe the clinical profile of DHF at the EVRMC Dept. of Pediatrics from January 1995 to December 1998.
no rate selected
email is required
email is invalid
affiliation is required